On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 02:17:00AM -0800, Serge Winitzki wrote:
> Thank you, I looked at that file. It seems that after
> all it *is* possible to put a script into
> ~/.lyx/mathed/extern_XYZ and then the command
> "math-extern XYZ simplify" will call that script and
> expect some answer. No changes in C++ code.

Oops... looks like I already forgot about that...

> Of course, the format of input/output is not
> documented and it's a problem.

It's something like   [sqrt [frac 1 2] ]    But it is rather fragile...
This was just meant as a debugging aid, not as the "real thing".

> I tried a few equations from my LyX documents to get a feel of what gets
> passed to that script. Seems not hard to parse at first glance.

I'd guess there are still a few rough corners as this part is not very well
maintained. I'd be happy to accept bug reports of suggestions for
improvement.

> There is one problem however: when a LyX expression
> contains an apostrophe character ' then this breaks
> the shell escape that runs things like

Like this one.

What do you suggest: How should the ' be exported?

> So it would be nice to get a hold of a specification
> of this MathArray export format. I'm surprised that
> you don't have external scripts for maple, maxima,
> etc. and process it inside C++ instead.

It turned out that a conversion by an external script
basically needs to re-build the internal stucture, so
as a quick&dirty "solution" we have hardwired exports
for the "supported" systems.

In the long run I'd like to replace them with a single
export format (probably MathML) and trust the CAS's
import of MathML to do the right thing.

Andre'

--
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security,
will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. (T. Jefferson)