Apparently it's too hard to change this, so it looks like this will be
a limitation in LyX for some time now ;( .

... however, you won't find a fancy point&click interface in LyX for that.

Could you just add a button: [LATEX] or [PREAMBLE] for these things?

What's wrong with the current TeX button?

There was just one user saying: how can I take out the \date line out of the article? In Latex that would be no problem and that was the answer. But LyX should be more than a front-end where you have to dig deeper with an external editor: every option of the article class should be reachable with some button!!!

That was all I was saying - and \date is not reachable!

-Jan