This appears to be a problem, at least with my set ups, in the win32(XP
pro)  Qt version as well.  In the same manner as original problem I
cannot convert .bmp to .eps without Lyx running the convertDefault.sh
even though .bmp view well in the gui - So I have given up trying! Now I
just use eps pics only and put up with not being able to view them in
the gui without "error converting to loadable format" etc.
At least all is well in the final output pdf or dvi which is all that
matters to me.

Rob S