I'm using lyx-1.3.2 on linux. The document type is book (koma-script), and
in the "extended lyx" document I read how to use multiple columns within a
page. But, it's not working for me.

  In the document I have (in this order):
\date{}
\usepackage{multicol}

  I have a rather long list that I want typeset in two columns on a page, so
I entered the LaTeX code "\begin{multicol}{2}" before starting the list text
and the code "\end{multicol}" after the text.

  However, when I try to view the typeset document using pdflatex I get two
errors: one in front of each ERT box:

LaTeX Error: Environment multicol undefined.
 \begin{multicol}
                      {2}
Your command was ignored.
Type  I <command> <return>  to replace it with another command,
or  <return>  to continue without it.

  Does this mean that I don't have the multicol package installed? If so, I
guess I need to find it and figure out how to make it available.

TIA,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard&#64;appl-ecosys.com
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com/