Hi:

I am a newbie with Lyx and have played with it for little more than an hour but fail printing.

I think that I installed all the bits and pieces indicated in the Lyx/Mac web page: gimp-print, esp ghostscript. I have also set the name of my printer which I found in /private/etc/printcap, and have configured textconfig (as indicated in the User's guide).

You do not indicate whether or not you properly installed all of the LaTeX components necessary to use LyX. (I am guessing from the fact that the "Print" option is dimmed that you do not have the necessary components properly set up.)

To check to see that you have LyX and all the necessary components of TeX/LaTeX properly installed, do this:
1. "Edit-->Reconfigure"
2. Restart LyX
3. Open (or create) a short document.
4. Click on the View menu. At the top of the menu you should see DVI, PDF, PDF (dvipdfm), PDF (pdflatex),... If you do not see these options to preview the document, you most likely do not have LaTeX properly set up.

Alternatively, you can open up the "Console" application right after you do step 1, and view the log to see whether LyX has found the necessary LaTeX components.

If LaTeX is not properly installed, please see my website http://www.la.utexas.edu/~tnishino/osx_lyx/ for detailed instructions on installing the various necessary components to use LyX-Aqua.

Yet the print option of the file" menu is dimmed. Also, the Lyx/Mac web page indicates that one can also print by previewing pdf and printing from preview. I did not even found how one previews with pdf...

Any help would be appreciated...
jp

Assuming you have everything properly set up, to view the document using Preview, this is what you need to do. Open the Preferences to "File formats". In each of the PDF entries set the viewer to "open -a Preview". Remember to click modify to get LyX to register the change, and save to make the Preference change permanent.

(Similarly, if you want to use Acrobat, you can enter "open -a Acrobat" instead.)

Then with the document you want to preview open, select View-->PDF from the menus. This should compile the document, launch the Preview app, and display the fully formatted document.

Hope this helps.

Tomoharu Nishino