The answer was in front of us all the time, but I take full responsibility
for not seeing it for a couple of days. I was taking the long -- and
incorrect -- route to a distributable pdf file.

  Instead of Viewing the pdflatex output, printing that, and running the
postscript file through ps2pdf, I _should_ have used File > Export >
pdflatex. Doh! When I do this, I get a pdf file on disk and acroread doesn't
stumble over the blank pages between the recto page that reads, "Part ", and
the blank verso page that follows it.

  Sometimes -- fortunately very rarely -- I get so overwhelmed with
deadlines and other pressures that I can't see the forest for the trees.
This was one of those occasions.

  And many thanks to Herbert for all his help in the background. I'll be
updating my tetex to the latest TeXLive. And thanks to Juergen for
suggesting the memoir class. I'm reading through the manual now to learn how
to mark up the copyright page.

  I appreciate the help from all of you. I hope I can give back to the
community with equal skill sometime soon.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)