> I am writing my thesis at the moment and I need to
> have the Abstract, Title page, Lists of Tables and
> Figures, etc to be unnumbered. That is I need the
> numbering to start at chapter one and have the first
> pages numbered i,ii,iii,iv etc. How do I do this?

Put (in ERT):
\renewcommand\thepage{\roman{page}}
\setcounter{page}{1}

where you want to start with the roman numbering (e.g. right before the toc),
and

\renewcommand\thepage{\arabic{page}}
\setcounter{page}{1}

where you want to start the arabic numbering. If you use

\begin{titlepage}
...stuff on your titlepage...
\end{titlepage}

the titlepage has no page number. I don't know if this works for all document
classes, though. I use report (koma-script) for my thesis.

> Also what is a good bibtex style that doesnt display
> titles of the references and is unsorted?

There should be something like unsrt.bst, but you can also create your own
bibtex style with latex makebst.

Good luck!

Jeannette