I love LyX but I dislike the way an index is created.
The indexed words are turned into boxes on the screen that
I find annoying. I'd also like a bit more automation to make
indexing easier. I'm wondering whether I'm overlooking a
capability in LyX and whether someone has already created a
solution.

If there's no other solution, here's what I plan:

1. When the book is finished, convert it to ASCII and LaTex.
2. From the ASCII file, create a word list that consists of
   all the words in the book. Pare this list down to only the
   words that should be indexed using some automation and manual
   inspection and editing.
3. Add phrases that should be indexed to the list. I'll have to
   maintain a list of phrases manually as I write the book.
4. Have a script automatically insert indexing markup into the
   LaTeX file.
5. Fix any problems with manual editing of the LaTeX file.
6. Use the marked up LaTeX file to print the final book.

Whenever changes to the book are needed, I modify the LyX
version of the book. When finished, I go to step 1.

Ed Sawicki