On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 02:27:10PM +0100, G?nter Milde wrote:
> Andre Poenitz wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 08:38:30AM +0100, G?nter Milde wrote:
>  >
> > > This works nice for often used symbols or the ones with (almost)
> > > non-ambiguous names (\alpha...\omega, but not \varphi)
> >
> > Hm? It surely works with \varphi as well.
>
> I was a bit unclear here. It works, but not "nice": Of course you can
> write \varphi, \surd, \rightleftharpoons, \eqslantgtr or \sqcup. However
> for seldom used symbols it is hard remembering the LaTeX name (and spell
> it without mistake).
>
> Looking it up in a book or list takes usually longer than using the
> math-panel, so switch-focus-after-math-panel-inserts would be a help.

Sorry for coming in so late on this--I didn't follow the thread so my
thoughts may have already been presented...

Under Linux (at least) use a window manager which allows "sloppy focus"
with the mouse (personally I use Fluxbox)--a slight flick of the wrist
gives you the desired shift.  Your hand is moving in the direction of
the keyboard anyway, so place the math panel accordingly at the edge of
the main window...

I'm unaware of what those on the dark side can do along this vein.  ;-)
Granted it may seem a kludge, but in a way it fits the philosophy of
the system (using the tools available instead of trying to build a
bigger, fatter, covers-every-last-angle-and-facet app.).

Cheers,

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,