Thanks for your mail Ingar..

To sum it up, if you have clean figures without latex math, export the
figures in xfig to eps, or use fig directly in LyX. This will give you a

If I do the above and try to generate a pdf file using pdftex option (pstopdf), is the eps figure's format still vector based? Or does some conversion occur when pstopdf is used?

clean vector based file. With Maths try the method described in:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/lab/howto/xfig_latex.html
If that does not work you might try exporting it to eps(vector) and then
with convert(or other program) export it to ppm/png, with a high
resolution (300dpi+).

I've used the former method (combined ps/latex) before too.. still have the same problem I mentioned.. the latter doesn't work since the eps file will not have the math... but it will have everything but the math.. I also tried xfig's combined pdf/latex option but that doesn't work too well either. For now, I'm resorting to Adobe Illustrator which does a perfect job of this... of course, the ease of getting math into AI isn't anywhere near xfig..

nirmal