>>Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:52:45 -0800 (PST)
>>From: Rich Shepard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Subject: OT: Xfig for use with LyX
>>
>>  I know that many of you use xfig and I would like pointers to two tasks I
>>need to do frequently: 1) draw S-, Z- or bell curves that are smooth and, in
>>the latter case, symetrical and 2) enter Greek letters, math symbols and
>>equations on the figure.

1- curves: xfig includes interpolated and approximated splines which
can fulfill a lot of needs. A common method is to import a picture
of the desired shape, to set the points over the picture in
a nearer plane and to delete the picture.

2- math: two methods:
  a/ use the special flag in the text attributes and type in math in latex,
  export as combined PS and text, and "input" the foo.pstex_t file
  in the lyx doc (this is understood by tex2pdf if you want to build
  the pdf with pdflatex);

  b/ write small latex formulas (with LyX if you like) in the article
  class w pagestyle empty , export as eps w dvips -E -o foo.eps foo.dvi
  and insert the eps in xfig as a picture.

b can be used also to write complete paragraphs if you want to use xfig
  to manage layouts

--
Jean-Pierre

PS to be complete, there is a third method (and maybe others) which uses
psfrag to postprocess the eps exported by xfig, but I don't use it,
so I cannot help about it.