>From Jean-Marc Lasgouttes:
>
> If you have a modern setting (like everybody probably has), you do not
> need to modify your /etc/printcaps. Actually, we should remove this
> part of the Customization manual altogether.
>
> Did you have a default printer specified before you did those
> modifications? What did not work?
>
> JMarc

My original printcap file follows.  I just tried again, using this version to
print, and still nothing happened.  I checked the end of each line:  there's
just a return, followed by a tab for the next line.

I just tested this version of printcap with the command, "lp testfile"  and
it worked.  I wonder if there is something missing from my installation of
Lyx?  I started with KDE, then added Lyx and Tetex, plus CUPS.  I can print
from KDE applications through CUPS.  Does Lyx require something in addition
to this?  I am able to print a Lyx document by printing it to a file, then
opening it under Ghostview and printing it.

Thanks,
Peter

lp|Generic dot-matrix printer entry:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\