>>Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:28:12 -0800 (PST)
>>From: Rich Shepard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Subject: Re: Citation Format: Part II
>>
>>On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:
>>
>>>   Can I assume that I can escape it by using a backslash (e.g., \NEPA)? Or,
>>> does each character require escaping?
>>
>>  Answered my own question: No. And No.
>>
>>  But, if I enclose the entire title in double braces it typesets just fine.

This works, but is a brutal practice: putting all the title one level
deeper by escaping the whole contents prevents any further formatting
with a different style. As the bib file should be typed in once
for all and only copied from the original source, only
the useful formatting information should be included.

The reason why capitals are folded in lower case in articles, or
papers in proceedings, come from the fact that only the title of
the book/journal should have all important words capitalized
(i.e. the fields booktitle and journal).

So the correct way is to escape only the capitals of people names
and acronyms. The former operation clearly cannot be made automatic.
For the latter, bibclean does it - the awk script is
useful anyway to check bibtex syntax, and includes configurable
pattern matching.

In the same line, the way author names are introduced is
to be checked carefully if you want the sorting by authors
to be correct, see the btxdoc.dvi.

--
Jean-Pierre

PS bibclean example:
 - original
@InProceedings{oconnor67gnc,
author = {B. J. {O'Connor} and L. A. Morine},
address = {Huntsville, AL, USA},
booktitle ={Guidance, Control and Flight Mechanics Conference},
number = {67-589},
month = { Aug 14-16},
organization = {AIAA},
title ={A Description of the CMG and its Application to
Space Vehicle Control},
year ={1967}
}
 - result after bibclean:
@InProceedings{oconnor67gnc,
  author =       "B. J. {O'Connor} and L. A. Morine",
  address =      "Huntsville, AL, USA",
  booktitle =    "Guidance, Control and Flight Mechanics Conference",
  number =       "67-589",
  month =        aug # " 14-16",
  organization = "AIAA",
  title =        "A Description of the {CMG} and its Application to
                 Space Vehicle Control",
  year =         "1967",
}

It would have been equivalent to type in the author field like this:
  author =       "O'Connor, B. J. and Morine, L.A.",