>>Subject: auto-correction
>>From: Beny Spira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:01:41 -0300
>>
>>Hi there
>>I am a linux/open-office user and I'd like to switch to lyx. However,
>>there is one important feature that I have not found in lyx so far, a
>>personalized auto-correction. In open-office/word it is possible to set
>>the an auto-correction for species names such as Homo sapiens. In this
>>case I write homosapiens and the editor translate it to Homo sapiens. I
>>went though the tutorial and user guide but couldn't find anything about
>>auto-correction. Is there an auto-correction feature in lyx?
>>Thank you in advance

If what you describe is not a typo autocorrection, but a deliberate
technique to type in the same frequent chain of characters alike,
the underlying latex syntax exists in, e.g.
 - set un a foo.tex file in which you define frequently used constructs, e.g.
\newcommand{\bshs}{Homo Sapiens}
where bs stands for your initials to prevent clash with other commands and
hs is a abbreviation (shorter to type in than homosapiens)
 - put \input{foo} in preamble,
 - type in ERT \bshs wher you need it.

In addition, if it happens that you need to replace Homo Sapiens by
Homo Erectus everywhere, it's done in one edition of foo.tex :-)

Implementation of this as a pure LyX feature must be in progress
(it works for math stuff).

As far as typo corrections are concerned, flyspell works with xemacs,
I don't know if it's planned for LyX. I't a way to do what you mean if
you use aspell and if the chain of characters is sufficently near the target
to make it appear in the correction list (in which case you may use
the spellchecker as well when you're finished with typing in).

--
Jean-Pierre