The build instructions for LyX/Mac in the lyx-1.3.4 distribution fail on UFS file systems. Although Apple recommends that MacOSX systems use HFS+ file systems for boot partitions and Applications directories, Gerben Wierda, the maintainer of an excellent teTeX suite for MacOSX, discovered the problem in trying to build LyX/Mac on a UFS file system. I don't have a MacOSX UFS file system here to test this on, but I believe the following changes would work:

After installing the LyX/Mac framework from ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/stable/lyx-mac-1.3.4-skeleton.tar.gz and before doing "make install" in the lyx source directory:

        - change /Applications/LyX.app/Contents/Info.plist from
               <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
               <string>LyX</string>
               <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
              <string>lyx</string>

- delete /Applications/LyX.app/Contents/MacOS/LyX

- change /Applications/LyX.app/Contents/Resources/LyX to /Applications/LyX.app/Contents/Resources/lyx

If anyone is in a position to try this on a MacOSX system with a UFS filesystem, I'd welcome corrections or additions to these procedures. This should be easy to incorporate into the README.MacOSX for lyx-1.3.5.
--

Ronald