On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, navaja wrote:

>>(gv).  On the other hand, when I'm generating a PDF file it's usually for
>>someone using Windows (who will read it with acroread), so I always check
>>whether a file displays properly in acroread.  Of course, that is not 100%
>>foolproof, because occasionally the Windows and Linux versions of acroread
>>behave differently.
>kind of ironic seeing as its pupose in life is to be a Portable document
>format!

A little bit, yes. But I can only remember one PDF that didn't display
properly, and it was probably created wrongly. Generally I'm quite
satisfied with the portability of PDF files. Largest problem has been that
Acrobat renders very ugly Type-3 fonts on screen which tend to be quite
common in LaTeX world. Fortunately new LaTeX installations can usually
easily produce PDFs with Type-1 fonts too.