If you select language as French, LyX uses frenchb in babel (reasonable
enough!). However, this package overrides list formatting. In particular,
it overrides the settings for bullets, so that customizing them in LyX has
no effect.

By default, LyX should override this feature of frenchb, by adding
\StandardLayout to the preamble. Also, LyX users who really want the
changes in frenchb (which personally seem very dubious to me) should be
able to switch back (with the understanding that LyX's standard bullet
machinery will stop working if they do).

Now, I would of course like to do this myself while I'm waiting for the
next version of LyX, but I can't, because if I add \StandardLayout to the
preamble, it's too early (babel hasn't been called yet) whereas if I put
it in the body of the document it's too late (because I get an error
telling me I can only use that command in the preamble).

I can of course hack the LaTeX, but that is not pretty; is there some
other workaround?

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/ | Slow Pedestrian Crossing (Anon)