Raphael Clifford wrote:

Hi,

I have been trying to follow the instructions given at http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/Examples/FiguresSideBySide but I am afraid I don't quite understand how to align the figures vertically. I know that the question appears to be answered in the sample lyx file pasted in the mailing list but I don't see how to actually do it from lyx? Sorry to be dumb but what do I have to do in lyx to align the two figures vertically?

Do as in the example, and the figures _will_ be side by side.
The example uses two figures, each in separate minipages.
Latex tries to put stuff on the same line until the line gets full. If the two
minipages is 50% (or less) of column width, then they will fit on a single line
and you get two figures on the same line.

The recipe aligns one figure with the left margin and one with the right margin,
because there is a hfill between them. (hfills take up all excess space on a line).

If you don't want your figures right at the edges, try putting a hfill before the
first one and a hfill after the last one too. Note that this only shuffles the minipages
around. The figure inside a minipage may be smaller than the minipage, and
possibly badly aligned inside it. Put the cursor inside the minipage, in the same paragraph as the figure. Then select layout->paragraph and use centered, right-justified
or left-justified. (The setting applies only to that one paragraph inside the minipage,
nothing happens to the minipage itself.) You can also use hfills inside the minipage
if you find that easier.

If this don't help, please ask a more detailed question. Tell what you try to do,
how it goes wrong, and provide a minimal example file.

Helge Hafting