Saulo Soares wrote:

> Dear Lyx Users
> I tried to install lyx 1.2.2 in my Red Hat Linux 8
> and the bug deleted my /dev/null !!
> Please I need some help in reconstructing my Linux.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Saulo Soares

Hello, Saulo.

Why did you try and install such an old version of lyx? It was released on
17 December, 2002. We're currently at version 1.3.4, which does *not* have
this bug.

The problem you describe is indeed a nasty, nasty one. We released lyx
1.2.3 as soon as we discovered it. See here
        http://www.lyx.org/news.php3#item25
for the announcement of the problem and how to restore /dev/null

To save you some bother following the links, below is the message
explaining how to repair the damage.

Best wishes,
Angus