Volker Knierim wrote:

> *This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm)
> Pro* Hello,
>
> I am new to this list so I don't know if this is the right way to post
> something, but I'll try anyway.
>
> I have a problem with installing LyX 1.3.4 on a Sun ULTRA Sparc running
> Solaris 2.9. I downloaded the xforms library (V. 1.0.90) and compiled it
> on the same machine without problems. Then I tried to install LyX. The
> configure task created a makefile and reported no errors. The I used
> gmake  and after a while the process stopped with the folowing error:
>
> g++ -O -fno-exceptions -o lyx BufferView.o ... vspace.o
mathed/.libs/libmathed.a insets/.libs/libinsets.a
> frontends/.libs/libfrontends.a /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.so
> /usr/local/lib/libforms.so -lXpm graphics/.libs/libgraphics.a
> support/.libs/libsupport.a ../boost/libs/regex/src/.libs/libboostregex.a
> ../boost/libs/signals/src/.libs/libboostsignals.a ../intl/libintl.a -lSM
> -lICE -lc -lm -L/usr/openwin/lib -lX11 -lsocket -lnsl -R/usr/local/lib
> -R/usr/local/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib

Hi, Volker

The problem is that this link step is not including the libflimage.so
shared object that bundles the image part of the XForms library. I guess
that the problem is the fault of the configure script.

If you look in config.log, which details which tests passed and which tests
failed, you'll find tests entitled:

configure:12330: checking for library containing flimage_dup

(The line numbers will probably be different)

There is more than one such test, as the configure script searches for the
library containing the function. Here, this test fails

configure:12361: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -isystem /usr/X11R6/include
conftest.c -ljpeg -lforms -lXpm  -lSM -lICE -lc -lm
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11  >&5

printing out the failing program, but this test succeeds

configure:12406: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -isystem /usr/X11R6/include
conftest.c -lflimage  -ljpeg -lforms -lXpm  -lSM -lICE -lc -lm
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11  > &5
configure:12409: $? = 0
configure:12412: test -s conftest
configure:12415: $? = 0
configure:12429: result: -lflimage

because flimage_dup is to be found in libflimage.so for XForms versions
greater than or equal to 1.0.

So, does this file exist in ${PREFIX}/lib, where PREFIX=/usr/local etc? I
suspect that you'll find libflimage.so.1.0.0 and will have to make a sym
link
        ln -s libflimage.so.1.0.0 libflimage.so

This is a problem that has been fixed in the cvs version of the XForms
library.

Regards,
Angus