Andrew Morrison wrote:

> Somehow, one of my display equations was created as (or morphed into) a
> multiline equation, even though it is one single equation. I tried
> deleting a re-entering it, but the multiline designation stuck.  I tried
> highlighting and going to Edit->Math->Change Formula Type->Displayed
> Formula, and still no dice.

This is the correct way to change the formula type. However, not all
conversions between all formula types are implemented. This explains why it
does not work for you. If you start lyx from a terminal window, you will
see an error message.

> Short of editing the lyx file in vi, is there a way to change the
> property on this single formula?

Yes. LyX stores math formulas in latex code, so if you know latex, you can
change it by hand in the .lyx file.

Georg