Uwe Stöhr wrote:

Colin J. Williams wrote:

I have no idea how to change the DIV value when using the typearea package.

Before changing the DIV value, read the koma-script userguide "scrguien.pdf" chap. 2. (The doc is in ~\miktex\doc\latex\koma-script)

Great! Thanks, the description is clear.  This resolves the problem.

The package inputenc is not in the MikTex listing, how can I get it?

Inputenc is LaTeX-base. That means it is part of all LaTeX distributions. The MiKTeX package listing don't list LaTeX-base packages, because LaTeX won't work without them.

> LaTeX Error: File `utf16.def' not found.

You used unicode characters in your document. (Btw. how did you managed it?).

The characters × and ÷ were originally from Word Perfect. The utf-16 was something I had plugged
in, guessing at a solution. It is probably clearer to use the words "times" and "divide", which is what I have done

At the moment LaTeX is not able to process UTF-16 chars. UTF-8 is possible when loading the inputenc-package with the option "utf8" and the package "ucs" (part of LaTeX-base):

\usepackage{ucs}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

regards Uwe

utf-16 no longer needed.