Jack Gill wrote:
I'm just getting started with LyX and am working through the tutorial.

I'm puzzled by one thing so far.

In section 2.2.1 of the tutorial, I'm instructed to make a section. Then I hit return and type in five lines of text.

When I hit return, the environment reverts to Standard, but the line is
not indented.  Subsequent lines are indented.

Furthermore, if I type in two lines of Standard text, put the cursor on
the first line, make it into a section, the second line of Standard text
loses it's indentation.

Why is the first line of Standard text after typing a section name
indented, while following lines of Standard text are indented?

Jack

I take it that you're hitting Return at the end of each of the five lines of text?

There are a few things going on here. First, every time you whack Return, you start a new paragraph (as opposed to producing a multiline paragraph). Second, LaTeX distinguishes one paragraph from the next by either inserting a small vertical skip or indenting the first line of the paragraph. Each document class has a default choice of which behavior to use, which you can override with the radio buttons in the Separation section of Layout -> Document -> Layout. Finally, when indentation is used, the first paragraph under a section heading is not indented. (I'm not sure if that's true across the board or just for certain classes, but it's true for the article class, which is likely the one you are using.

-- Paul

Paul A. Rubin Phone: (517) 432-3509
Department of Management Fax: (517) 432-1111
The Eli Broad Graduate School of Management E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Michigan State University http://www.msu.edu/~rubin/
East Lansing, MI 48824-1122 (USA)
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen: whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different. J. W. v. GOETHE