Am Samstag, 16. Oktober 2004 09:48 schrieb M.K.:

> --- Angus Leeming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > You're using a graphics inset but can't use the pdflatex compiler. You
> > need to define a XFig -> PDF converter. See the Edit->Preferences
> > dialog.
>
> Ah, OK.  Well, I have done that (using "fig2dev -L pdf $$i $$o"), but
for some reason LyX
> generates *.png files and includes those, instead of *.pdfs, when I
select view PDF(pdflatex).
> How/what determines this target image file format?

In this case it is hardcoded in lyx. If you know a bit C++, you can see it
in the function findTargetFormat() in the file src/insets/insetgraphics.C
of the lyx sources.
The following is more a developers question, so lets discuss it further on
the developers list: How should we decide wether to generate a .png or
a .pdf file? What about creating pdf if a converter to pdf is available
and png otherwise?
Rationale: pdf graphics files can have both vector or raster image data.
png is a pure raster image format. It is needed nevertheless, because a
converter to pdf might not be available for all graphics file formats.

Georg