On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 06:33:00AM +0000, udayan singh wrote:

> Well I think if its playing some role in formatting ( or some other thing )
> of this doc class, then it should have been mentioned ( my views) .

  I agree.
  But my priority is not linuxdoc, linuxdoc is a dead end. It works well for
simple things. The problem was that it started as a hack and took much time
to get right. Later was decided that instead of reinventing the wheel
everytime the best thing would be to move to a more standard project, docbook.

> Also, now you have many formats that you find in document class 'SGML
> (LinuxDoc article)'  rather than in document class 'SGML (LinuxDoc
> manpage)'.
> e.g. Title / Author /SubSection /SubSubsection / paragraph / Date and
> Abstract.

  This is by linuxdoc design, not LyX, those are the only available layouts
for manpage.

> Okay , one more thing , if I am correct we are not allowed to use TOC in
> document classes 'SGML (LinuxDoc article)'  and 'SGML (LinuxDoc manpage)'.
> Wanted to clarify this.

  No, you can not, agains this impose by linuxdoc not lyx. I know that then
LyX should not allow the user to place, it is bug but not easy to fix, and
again such a small one that I don't intend to fix it.

  IMO the toc, as well as the lof, placement belongs to the transformation
part not to the content. How many times to you place TOC in another place
different from the usual?

> If I got you correctly, you mean that the tool that is being presently used
> by lyx, for converting to pdf format, is faulty on my system. Since I am
> getting the .sgml files when I convert to pdf then  I face a problem ( as
> of now I dont know if the sgml file is in correct format ). But I would
> like to mention that when I am using simply documentclass 'book' , then
> things work out perfectly i.e. I get the pdf format of the given file (
> hope I didnt miss out something ).

  Because then you are using different tools.
  If using linxudoc manpage the path to pdf is:
lyx -> linuxdoc -> latex -> pdf

  while with "LaTeX (book)" is:
lyx -> latex -> pdf

> Well in any case , which tool would you recommend that I should use to
> convert .sgml file? I got this .sgml from converting the .lyx doc of
> document class 'SGML (LinuxDoc manpage)' ( I exported it to LinuxDoc). I
> would like to try this out first.

  What is your goal? To produce a man page from your document?

> Thanks a lot for answering , bet need more clarification.

  You're welcome. :-)

--
José Abílio Matos
LyX and docbook a perfect match. :-)