Thanks Uwe, Rich, and Herbert.

On Monday, October 4, 2004, at 01:05 AM, Herbert Voss wrote:

Bruce Pourciau wrote:

A word space should precede and follow any ellipsis which appears between two words in the middle of a sentence, according for example to the typographer Robert Bringhurst (The Elements of Typographic Style). In LyX, typing
word space then option-period then word space
produces unbalanced spacing, with more space on the right side. Typing
word space then option-period
produces less unbalanced spacing, but now with less space on the right side.
How do I get an ellipsis with the proper spacing fore and aft?

write into the preamble of the document

\let\ldotsOld\ldots
\renewcommand\ldots{\ldotsOld\unkern}

Herbert

-- http://TeXnik.de/ http://PSTricks.de/ ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/info/math/voss/Voss-Mathmode.pdf http://www.dante.de/faq/de-tex-faq/ http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes

Bruce,

If you want to learn the subtleties of the ellipsis in all its glory, read
the appropriate section in "The LaTeX Companion, 2nd Edition". What it comes
down to is differing views of what's proper under which circumstances. For
example, in my book I used \textelllipsis but I was told by
Springer-Verlag's TeXpert to use \ldots instead.

The differences are both very subtle and of no interest to me. If
Springer-Verlag wants \ldots in their monographs rather than \textellipsis,
then \ldots is what they get.

There are even more variants, IIRC. Read about them and pick the one you
like best.

HTH,

Rich

Bruce Pourciau wrote:

In LyX, typing
> word space then option-period then word space
produces unbalanced spacing, with more space on the right side.

This a well known problem of LaTeX. It is described in the book "The LaTeX Companion Second Edition" in chap. 3.1.2.
The command \ldots, that LyX uses for an ellipsis, produces more space after the ellipsis to have enough space before a punctuation character or the next word.

How do I get an ellipsis with the proper spacing fore and aft?

To have an ellipsis with balanced spaces, define a new command \lips in the preamble with

\newcommand{\lips}{\dots\unkern}

and use it instead of LyX's ellipsis.
An example is attached.