This may be a wild goose chase for you. Someone out there may have a *much* better answer.

Debug LyX:
from a line command, type in lyx -dbg. This will give you the lyx debug flag definitions.

Debug dvips from within LyX:
In the Outputs Printers configuration section, change the printer command to dvips -d 2

This will set the debug level of dvips to 2. You can find all the debug flag definitions at
http://www.tug.org/texinfohtml/dvips.html#Debug-options

You may want to start out just debugging dvips.

You can capture the all the debug info by starting lyx from a command line with appropriate output redirection, for example
lyx -dbg 2 >debugoutput.txt 2>&1

Leave off the -dbg 2 to not start off with lyx debug.
lyx >debugoutput.txt 2>&1

These command forms will redirect standard output and standard error to the file debugoutput.txt.

You may want to investigate the "-u" option for dvips (http://www.tug.org/texinfohtml/dvips.html#Option-details):

-u /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/psfonts.map

perhaps.

Lastly, and possibly most ignorantly of me, you could add the printer definition through texconfig

david wolfson wrote:
Thanks for the replys.

First off, I tried the 'hit the print button, not just enter' and had no luck. Would've been nice though...

Going into a bit more detail then. When I hit print, the default printer is found ok, and its name is in the 'printer' box. However, when I hit the 'print' button, there's not a 'sending to print' progress bar; the menu just closes. To my mind this means it's not spooling (NB it's a network printer on another machine running CUPS, but works fine from other apps).
The 'output, printer' section of the 'preferences' menu also displays the correct name for the default printer. Adapt output is checked, and the printer command is 'dvips'. The options look reasonable compared to those from the dvips man page (I'll list them below). The only difference is the the spool command is 'lp' rather than 'lpr', but either of these options work from the command line, and neither option works when I change them.

One thing I have spotted is the a warning from dvips when I print from the command line:

$ dvips -f test.dvi -P HP2300
dvips: warning: no config file for `HP2300'
This is dvips(k) 5.86 Copyright 1999 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2004.10.08:1016' -> | lpr -PHP2300

I know nothing about dvips, other than that lyx wants to use it to control print output, so I maybe need to have a look at this if it's important...?

Let me know if there are any more details I can provide. Is there a way to get a debug output from lyx?

Cheers,

Dave

prefs-output-printer options:
Printer name: HP2300
adapt output: checked
even pages: -B
odd pages: -A
Page range: -pp
collated: -C
Copies: -c
Landscape: -t landscape
Reverse: -r
to file: -o
to printer: -P
Extra options:
file extension: .ps
spool prefix: -d
spool command: lp
paper size: -T
Paper type: -t

This message has been scanned but we cannot guarantee that it and any attachments are free from viruses or other damaging content: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.