Hi all,

What is the most efficient way of inserting accented characters into BibTeX?

In the past I simply inserted the ASCII character into the BibTeX file with emacs and never had any troubles. I've recently upgraded from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 2 and now this no longer works. Depending on the ASCII character I insert, it either gives the wrong output, or it gives an error. For example;

é appears as "é" in both dvi and pdf output

Ö gives the error; "Package inputenc Error: Keyboard character used is undefined ... {\em ^^c3^^96} ... You need to provide a definition with \DeclareInputText or \DeclareInputMate before using this key."

A hunt around only gave me the clue that accented characters should be inserted as TeX code...I tried this and it worked...but my BibTeX file already has a lot of these characters in it.

In the worst case I'll be able to work around, but it seems a little unusual to me that this used to work, but not anymore. Even more confusing is that if I copy and paste the characters from emacs into the LyX document text they come out fine.

Any clues?

Cheers,
Paul