Gour> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>> Form what I understand, dead-keys mechanism does not work when the
>> system uses a utf8-based locale, as modern distributions do.

Gour> Well it works partially, e.g. only acute accent works.

OK.

>> What is the situation of using sanskrit with a 8bit iso8859 locale?
>> Does iso8859-12 exist or not?

Gour> In the past I used it with latin-2 locale (I need Croatian too)
Gour> and modifying texaccent.c by hand , but now on Gentoo I'm on
Gour> utf-8.

Gour> Besides that, latin-2 does not have marron accent and the screen
Gour> is cluttered with those Z-like monsters :-)

Yes, this is a real problem.

>> Another way to get the accents you need is via a keyboard map, in
>> which case LyX will use TeX-type accents like \'{s}.

Gour> Yeah, it's possible, but sort of a pain considering that I can
Gour> enter Sanskrit characters in all the other apps directly (vim,
Gour> OO, KWord, Kate...) and take advantage of 'ucs' package to have
Gour> some interchange with other users, email it utf-8...

Gour> Unicode is simply becoming a 'must'.

This is clearly on the list of important things to do soon.

Gour> Anyway, I wish you good luck to achieve 1.5 soon and there is
Gour> always opportunity to come back :-)

Unfortunately, our goal for now is to have 1.4 out soon :(

I hope we will manage to be faster for 1.5.

JMarc