On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 01:57:29PM +0100, Vaclav Smidl wrote:
> Hi Jane,
> thanks for the patch, it works beautifully.
>
> I vote for its inclusion into 1.3.6cvs.

That's not the kind of thing that changed in the stable series.

However, when it comes for voting, _I_ vote that somebody ports the
thing to 1.4.0cvs (possibly CoordBranch, as long as this is not
merged).

That's about the only way to give some kind of guarantee that it will
survive further development. A patch for 1.3.x is really nice, and I
cvertainly appreciate it, but we'll end up with the same situation we
had from the beginning: Nice feature, but not applicable to current LyX
(the feature was implemented in 1.2 when development focussed on 1.3
[And there have been good reasons for that, so that's no criticism,
John...], now the feature was ported to 1.3, but development is in
1.4 - and core changes have been significant, so simply applying the
patch to 1.4 might compile, but not work.)

And I also understand that 1.4.0cvs(+CoordBranch) is not in the shape
to write documents with, but it certainly is stable enough as target for
development.

Andre'