Paul Medwell wrote:
>> Yes, it is possible. Define the PICT format, and automatic conversion
>> will work.
>>

>> Georg
>

> Thank you for your reply, and sorry for being ignorant, but the question
> of how to define a new format still stands. In other words, how do I
> define PICT format (or any others for that matter). A google search did
> not find anything particularly useful and I couldn't find anything in
> the documentation.

Launch the Preferences dialog from the Edit menu:
        Edit->Preferences

You'll see a 'File formats' item in the pane on the left hand side. Select
it.

Click 'New' on the right hand pane that just appeared.
Change the 'New' items in 'Format:', 'GUI name:', 'Extension:' to 'PICT'.
Press 'Modify' to add the new format to the list of formats in the dialog.
Press 'Save' or 'Apply' to get LyX to recognize this new format, either
permanently or for the rest of the current session.

--
Angus