Rich Shepard wrote:
   I think someone may have provided information on this. If so, I apologize
for not saving that message. Also, I do not find the answer in TLC2.
However, I believe part of the answer is on the Tips & Tricks Web page.

   To get letter and "Symbol" headings in the index I need to use Letter.ist.
Correct? Where do I put this in the LyX document? Does it go in the preamble
as
\usepackage{letter.ist}
or ...?

put it into $texmf-local/makeindex/letter.ist

Now the problem is, that LyX runs hardcoded
makeindex -q  file.idx   or something similiar
but you need
makeindex -s letter.ist file.idx

you have to write a wrapper makeindex, which does nothing else as starting the makeindexOld with the letter.ist

Herbert

--
http://TeXnik.de/
http://PSTricks.de/