Dear List,

I tried doing this...

I went to document in Layout menu, then I went to
preamble and put this

\newcommand\Z{\mathbb{Z}}

And went to my document and changed to mathmode and
typed \Z in it.. in LaTeX this would be understood as
\mathbb{Z} and everything would go fine.. but in LyX,
apparently the preamble was disregarded .. an error
occured when I tried to view this in dvi saying that
\Z is an undefined control sequence (which would have
happened in LaTeX had I not but \newcommand in the
preamble) ..

So later I learned by reading the userguide that I
have to use math-macro .. the documentation is however
a bit confusing, should I type the following in the
minibuffer

math-macro Z \mathbb{Z}

or what?
I don't quite get this part of the documentation. And
the definition box that appears after I define a
macro.. it looks wierd in the document, I do hope it
doesnt appear on the pdf/dvi/etc. output...
I would suggest that the devoloper allow the
\newcommand in the preamble to work rather than having
a math-macro. Because that way it looks cleaner.

Sincerely,
Jose Capco