Stefano Franchi wrote:

LaTeX Error: File `chapter-2-sample.ent' not found.
 \theendnotes
                  ^^M
*** (cannot \read from terminal in nonstop modes)

I am totally lost now. I enclose the short file below.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I installed the file "iso-8859-7.def" in the directory

\texmf\tex\latex\greek

, ran texhash, and restarted Lyx.
Your file compiles now without errors when I delete the endnote command.
Looking further brings up the solution for the endnotes problem:

write
\let\footnote\endnote
instead of
\let\footnote=\endnote

I attached the fixed file.

regards Uwe
#LyX 1.3 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 221
\textclass scrbook
\begin_preamble
\usepackage{colortbl}
\usepackage{tabularx}
\usepackage[greek,french,german,italian,english]{babel}
\languageattribute{greek}{polutoniko}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[oxford=true]{jurabib}
\jurabibsetup{
     authorformat=and,
     titleformat=italic,
     citefull=first
}
\renewcommand{\bibapifont}[1]{``#1''}

% To use Jurabib idem or ibidem uncomment next line
%\jbuseidemhrule

% To convert all endnotes to endnotes uncomment the next TWO lines
\usepackage{endnotes}
\let\footnote\endnote

% To eliminate the date on first page uncomment the next line
\date{}

% To eliminate the final bibliography replace \thebibliography
% with \nobibliography (and the correct arguments) at the end of
% the file. You will have to do it on the LaTeX source, though

% The following allows to change the paragraph spacing
% in the printout without changing the screen spacing
% Note: the value set here will override (not be added to)
% LyX's settings in  Layout>Document>Layout
%
%\usepackage{setspace}
%\onehalfspace

% The next bit shows the comment environment inside a grey box
% Comment it out for final print
% show my Comments?
\RequirePackage{colortbl, tabularx}
\renewenvironment{comment}
{% replaces \begin{comment}
\noindent
\tabularx{\textwidth}{|>{\columncolor[gray]{0.9}}X|}
\hline
\emph{\textbf{Comment:}}
}
{% replaces \end{comment}
\endtabularx\hrule
}
%
% End of comment printing bit
%
\end_preamble
\options chapterprefix
\language english
\inputencoding auto
\fontscheme times
\graphics default
\paperfontsize default
\spacing single
\papersize a4paper
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 0
\use_amsmath 0
\use_natbib 0
\use_numerical_citations 0
\paperorientation portrait
\secnumdepth 5
\tocdepth 5
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle headings

\layout Chapter

The Phenomenon of Passivity
\layout Section

Doing and suffering in Aristotle: the
\emph on
Categories
\layout Subsection

Transition section from preceding chapter
\layout Comment

Still to write
\begin_inset Foot
collapsed true

\layout Standard

hello
\end_inset

\layout Subsection

Methodological and lexical problems
\layout Comment

Here is where I say why it is correct, for my own purposes, to start from
 Categories' discussion of
\emph on
poiein
\emph default
 and
\emph on
paskhein
\emph default
 as a clue toward a better understanding of the phenomenology of passivity.
 I wish to point out, basically: (1) that I accept the view that the categories
 are ontological---i.e.
 they name fundamental ways of being, and not just semantical, i.e.
 ways of talking about beings.
 Now it might well be the case that it is more correct to assume the latter
 view, I do not really care.
 For my purposes, it is more productive to assume the ontological reading
 which is also supported by recent scholarship; (2) I am not concerned about
 the issue about a unifying principle in categories, i.e.
 about whether they can be derived from a principle, etc.becasue I am not
 primarily concerned with the unity and consistence of (what I have assumed
 to be) Aristotle's ontology.
 Since my analysis is fully focused on only 2 out the 10 categories I am
 free to disregard the overall consistency/unity problem.
 I am concerned, however with the relationships that the two categories
 I am looking at might entertain with the other, in particular their possible
 reduction to other categories.
 So there is a sense in which the general debate (rather, the vexed question)
 about the unity of the categories is my concern, but only insofar as it
 affects the categories at stake.

\layout Comment

So, in summary I will be assuming the ontological/phenomenological relevance
 of Aristotle's analysis ex hypoth.
 and try to figure out, mostly with the help of the later commentators,
 what Aristotle's discussion of poiein and paskhein can tell us about the
 problems with passivity, in particular for what concerns its in/dependence
 from other phenomen and its relationship to it.

\layout Standard

However, the existence of different lists has a very marginal relevance
 for my analysis of the Aristotelian treatment of passivity.
 The discrepancies between the various lists and the clear differences between
 universal ontological categories like 'substance' or 'affection' and dubious
 ones like, for instance, 'having' and 'being had' have sparked an immense
 debate about the unity of the categories and prompted many philosophers
 and commentators to try to find the principles by which a set of categories
 should be given.
 This
\emph on
vexata quaestio
\emph default
 was well known since antiquity and resurfaces periodically in the secondary
 literature on Aristotle.
 An associated and even more important and vexed question concerns the metaphysi
cal status of the categories themselves and their possible conflict with
 the ontology Aristotle develops in
\emph on
Metaphysics
\emph default
, most prominently in books
\emph on
Zeta
\emph default
 and
\emph on
(
\emph default
for what concerns our presents interests)
\emph on
Theta
\emph default
.
 Do categories name ways of being, or words we use to refer to
\layout Standard

It is important to stress that I am
\emph on
not
\emph default
 pretending to make any contribution to this debate.
 In other words, I am not trying to determine whether the category of passivity
 fits well with the other categories he lists, and what this fit or lack
 thereof would teach us about the categories as a whole, their possible
 generating principles, their theoretical status, etc.
 Rather, I am interested in determining whether Aristotle's treatment of
 the category of passivity may provide a concrete help in getting a better
 understanding of the phenomenon itself.
\layout Standard

\begin_inset ERT
status Open

\layout Standard

\backslash
theendnotes
\end_inset

\layout Standard

\begin_inset LatexCommand
\BibTeX[jox]{/Users/stefano/Documents/Books/Passivity-book/Biblios/Passivity-tmp-test}

\end_inset

\the_end