On Thursday 17 February 2005 09:06, Jean-Pierre Chretien wrote:

> What do you mean by chracter styles ? A set of lyx functions associated
> to given combinations of choices in the Character layout ? I hope it will
> not allow to tune locally the chapter, section, etc. layouts...

  No, I mean the equivalent of layout styles in a subparagraph level.

  Suppose, as an example, that you would like to distinguish all the dates
in your document. You can mark all the occurrences as such, and then
control through the layout class how it will appear.

> Would not an extension of math-macro mechanism to \newcommand constructs
> be more general ? (on a document basis, as well :-)

  math-macros have their own problems. :-)
  I don't think they would expand as well as the logical characters styles
we will be using.
--
José Abílio