> Does that have LyX?  If not, does anyone know of a live CD with a working
> LyX installation?

I have taken the knoppix CD and remastered it (easy instructions on the
knoppix website, long and exhausting procedure) to include TeTex, LyX,
fonts, imagemagick, viewers, etc. I put Open-office on it so I could read
Word documents, and I even had room to spare so I included Octave, Grace,
and Gnuplot.  All these things are all prepackaged in the Debian
distribution, including all fonts required (The Hebrew fonts for TeX  I had
to get from somewhere else and install, they even might have been packaged
in Debian as well, but anyway, Debian has a "alien" command to install
"alien" packages), so the procedure is straightforward (no compilation), you
just have to choose the packages from the installation program ("aptitude",
apt-get). It is a "smart" program that takes care of pre-requisites and
downloads all needes extra libraries for you as well.

When I did this, only lyx 1.3.4 was packaged so I used that instead of
compiling 1.3.5, which was a week old at the time.

I also removed all games, some foreign (for me) language support (fonts and
dictionaries of German, French, etc.) and other programs I didn't care for
to make room.

If it is of any interest, I could upload the CD image to somewhere. You can
always take this image as a starting point instead of the original Knoppix
(for example if you really miss the European language dictionaries for
OpenOffice and the spellers)

I don't have anywhere to put 700MB (the uncompressed version is 2GB).

Miki