Jürgen wrote:

> Basically, it is a question about Scylla or Charybdis. With
> some tweaking
> (i.e. switching off the rubber lenghts), you can even get
> LaTeX to get close
> to "Registerhaltigkeit", but then you'll lose the harmonic
> page design and
> the intelligent widow/orphan handling, for that matter.

Exactly right.

If you opt for Charybidis (grid alignment), you can basically do it in LaTeX
with this:

\raggedbottom

What that does is turn *off* vertical justification, or "feathering" of
lines, so that all lines are set with the specified leading (line spacing).
Otherwise, you can use this--

\flushbottom

--which really means "use vertical justification (to align page bottoms
automatically)." But really, that's the default anyway, made so in TeX by
Donald Knuth because of his need to typeset mathematical equations, which
don't lend themselves well to grid alignment.

If you're typesetting a novel, however, you may *want* grid alignment rather
than vertical justification. If that's your choice, you'll probably need to
adjust widows and orphans manually by editing the text, tweaking a
paragraph's "sloppiness," and so on.

More information in my article here:

http://lists.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1717621183

Note that OpenOffice.org Writer includes the option to turn grid alignment
off or on for individual paragraph styles--very nice. In Writer, this
feature is called "Register True," and it must be set for both the page
style and the paragraph style. In addition, you should set leading as
"exactly" the value you want.

More information here:

http://lists.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1718286586

Best wishes,
Jack M. Lyon

The EDITORIUM
Microsoft Word Add-Ins for Publishing Professionals
http://www.editorium.com