Jane McKean wrote:

When I generate my PDFs using View > PDF(pdflatex), I get the following
warning during the generation:

Error: PDF version 1.5 -- xpdf supports version 1.4 (continuing anyway)

Is there some mechanism for setting the PDF version from within LyX, so
that it would generate PDF version 1.4?

No it isn't. The pdf-version depends on the pdflatex-version, because pdflatex uses internally xpdf.
The error occurs when you use external pdf's (in pdf 1.5 format) in your document. Possibly you inserted a pdf image.
To get rid of this error, reduce the pdf version using a pdf editor (e.g. Acrobat) or update pdflatex.
xpdf version 3 supports pdf 1.5. And this version is used in pdflatex since version 1.2x. The new teTeX 3 comes with pdflatex 1.21a.

regards Uwe