Kevin Pfeiffer wrote:

Juergen Spitzmueller writes:

As I said, you might get close with lots of tweaking. But IMHO the loss
is greater than the gain.

No, I don't mean at the user level, but as an option (programmed in, so to speak), so that within the limits this requires, that all other aspects of page control, checking for widows/orphans, etc., is still done. As you said, "if this is the preference," then what is lost? It seems that it would only lead to slightly more white space and a few more pages, and perhaps a slightly blockier look to pages with many paragraphs.

After seeing the example, I wonder why someone would want
this "registerhaltigkeit" in the general case. (Sure, there might
be special cases I can't think of.)

In a book, you read one page at a time, one column at a time.
Therefore, it doesn't matter if the adjacent column/page doesn't
line up.  You never read the first line of column1, then the first
line of column2, . . .

Note that the lines will line up, if you have two pages with text
only. Headings, figures/tables, and paragraph breaks using skips
ruins this. You can improve on this by making sure the extra
space set aside for a heading (or skip or figure) is an exact multiple of the line
height. So, you should be able to get much better
"registerhaltigheit" with a latex class written with this in mind.
You need someone good at typography (and latex) to make the
class though, simply setting some non-stretchable numbers that
match the line height will likely be bad for a lot of other, more important
typographical reasons.

Helge Hafting