Geoffrey Lloyd wrote:

I was wondering whether someone could explain what the following preamble commands actually do. I am a complete novice.

\newcommand\suppress[1]{}

defines a new command named "\suppress" that does nothing (the braces are empty in the definition)

\newcommand\deleted[1]{\xout{#1}}

defines a command "\deleted" that strikes out text (needs the LaTeX-package "ulem")
(have a look at chapter 22.13.2 of

http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/LyX/LyXMathebefehle/LyXMathebefehle.pdf
(http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyXMathebefehle)

to see how it works.

\newlength\wvtextpercent

define a new length named "\wvtextpercent"

\setlength\wvtextpercent{0.009\textwidth}

set the length to 0.009 times the length "\textwidth" For the definition of \textwidth, have a look at

http://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/Units

(in LyX \textwidth is called "text%")

\newbox\strikebox
\def\strike#1{\setbox\strikebox \hbox{<#1>}\hbox{\raise0.5ex\hbox to 0pt{\vrule height 0.4pt width \wd\strikebox\hss}\copy\strikebox}}

defines a box that strikes out its content

\setlength\parindent{0pt}
\setlength{\parskip\}{\smallskipamount}

sets the paragraph skip to small. You don't need this, use the menu Layout->Document->Layout instead.

regards Uwe