Uwe StÃhr wrote:

> Yosef wrote:
>
>> now I've converted my system (Gentoo Linux) to use unicode, and I can't
>> use hebrew anymore in the preamble. My keyboard of course does not input
>> cp1255, and latex doesn't know what \inputencoding{utf8} (or any other
>> variant).
>
> The actual LaTeX v. 2003/12/01 supports utf8 as encoding. It was
> announced in
>
> http://www.latex-project.org/ltnews/ltnews15.pdf
>
> You should also have a look at the documentation of the LaTeX-package
> "inputenc".
>
> Unfortunately the actual LaTeX isn't part of Gentoo stable, because you
> need teTeX 3.0 for this. But this version is in the unstable tree.

Unstable indeed. Killed my LyX (no view DVI, no export, no nothing).
Unfortunately I just don't have the time to write a meaningful bug report
and follow it, so I just got back to teTeX 2.

I guess I'll just stick to using iconv on minimal LyX files when I really
need it, which is not often, and see when teTeX 3 becomes stable.

Thanks.