Angus Leeming wrote:
Kayvan A. Sylvan wrote:

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 08:37:14PM -0400, Myriam Abramson wrote:

Hi!

How do you write a case equation in LyX? I mean an equation like

B = { 1 if x > 0;
     0 if x = 0

so that the brace covers multiple lines?

I think that you can use the math panel and then click on the button that looks like a blue box surrounded by brackets. Then you can change the left bracket to your braces and change the right one to blank.

In the inner blue square, insert a math matrix and fill in the parts.

Actually, it's even easier:

Create a math inset: Insert->Math->Display formula
Type:

Looks horrible, but really it isn't!

Easier still: in a display environment, try Insert->Math->Cases environment, and use control-enter to add cases as needed. You still need to switch to textrm font for the "if"s (alt-m m or type ).

-- Paul