On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Gerasimos Grammatikopoulos wrote:

> One big issue here is that such third party add-ons for Word are usually paid
> their LOC in gold.

(LOC?)

> Another problem is the quite frequent instabillity derived
> by "overloading" word with such bells and whistles. I can't tell anything
> about EndNote since I haven't used it, but ReferenceManager in its days had
> blown up in my face more than once.

Yes, I agree that stability can be an issue with Word addons.  I have
actually had rare Lyx crashes occur for me that appear to be related to
the pipe communication between Pybliographic and Lyx, and I have also had
some issues with Pybliographic importing reference files from major
journals.  (The Pybliographic problems seem to be related to those
journals putting out reference keys that Pybliographic didn't consider
standard format.  However, when I tried to import the same file in EndNote
it "just worked".  From a user's perspective, "just working" with a
warning message perhaps would be prefereble to failure plus an obscure
error message which is what I got in Pybliographic.)

I have never lost data with Lyx.  Thanks, Lyx team.

> Please keep in mind that you can rather
> easily change "formatting" of the references anytime you please while still
> not messing (and thus loosing time) with the actual archive.

This is a rather routine capability actually.  Word+EndNote can do it too.

Further, I have seen a live demonstration of some features of EndNote and
RefViz that are pretty cool; there is nothing comparable in
BibTex+Pybliographic or addons as far as I can find.  It turns out I don't
need those capabilities but I can see their usefulness.

> You can also
> SQL-query for references if your university library offers such service. I
> for one, consider the TexMed web interface a god send.

Again, pretty routine stuff.  EndNote can do it.

> OO.org's bibliography is far better than whatever "hack" you can get with the
> native MS Word endnotes.

I'm not sure we are on the same page . . .  EndNote isn't a native Word
package of course, it is an add on software package.  I tried OO's built
in bibliographic support and found it pretty useless for now.
Latex+pybliographic was much better than OO's built in stuff for
bibliographic management.  I would put Latex+pybliographic as in the same
class as Word+Endote.  Word+Endnote have a few more features for
bibliographic management, but the basics are there in both.  As I said
there are some advanced features that Word+EndNote+RefViz can do that have
no counterpart in open source AFAIK (unfortunately).

Rich