On Saturday 23 April 2005 17:24, Steve Litt wrote:

> Pages with a couple graphics print so slowly that the
printer motor turns off.
> I assume it's some kind of bandwidth issue or memory
issue. The graphics it
> really seems to choke on are the .gif graphics, which are
only about 15K
> each. My HP 4050 duplex printer has 24MB installed RAM,
15MB RAM DISK Storage
> capacity, 100KB Allocated of 20300 KB available I/O
buffering, and 0KB
> allocated of 17300KB available resource saving.
>
> What this says to me is 3 or 4 15K graphics are NOTHING
compared to the RAM in
> this printer, and I'd be hard pressed to imagine them
saturating a parallel
> port.

Steve,

The GIF format does a really good job of compressing
graphics, and a small GIF file could represent a really
large image at high resolution.  In the printer the image
is expanded to an uncompressed raster image.  I've found HP
laser printers seem to be optimized for text, and
(particularly Postscript printers) are slow, and often run
out of memory, with graphics.  Quite often I've found my
HP1300 (a postscript laser printer) dies after working for
ten minutes on an image which prints in a couple of minutes
with an inkjet printer (which uses Ghostscript to send the
image to the printer a little at a time).  But the HP1300
runs rings around the inkjet on text.

Les