Uwe Stöhr wrote:
Geoffrey Lloyd wrote:

If you use ctrl-enter you get a line break, or 'soft return' which does what you want in any environment.

I know this, but I want to write a lot of program code and therefore need many linebreaks. Pressing every time C-ENTER is not very ergonomic and looks a bit ugly on the screen.
The LyX-code environment has the properties I want within LyX except that ENTER creates a new paragraph in the backround and therefore the output is unreadable.

ctrl-enter is not the same, it gives a \\ in the latex file, which is useless for verbatim code. LyX is really really buggy in the ERT mode.

You can insert an external text file, then you get
what you want.

Herbert