> I use beamer a fair bit (great package!), but I'm not an expert.  So the
> following is offered with no warranty:
I have used it for all my recent presentations.
The package has well advenced with the last update.
For instance you can easylier change to a heading which doen't take too much
space. If I remember right use seagul theme

And the documentation is great.

Compared to the PPT-based presentations of my collegues beamer/pdf is a bit
solw when loading big pictures which you couldn't reduce the size for due to
the sharpness of contours. Therefore the transition of pages with graphics
takes a little bit longer.
Or does anyone have a clue for this?

What you gain is the better structure, and readybility since it doen't allow
you to putt 1000x list bullets on a page with a 10pt font and a gloden sunset
as a background. ;-)
> 2.  The "official" method of compiling a beamer presentation is
> pdflatex, and I'm not sure dvipdfm or dvips/pstopdf are supported at
> all.  I've tried them once or twice (usually by accident -- meant to
> click Export->pdflatex but missed high) and the results were unusable.
Use DVI for a fast text preview. But if you need all graphics and bullets use
pdftex.

Overall, I found the package great for pres. with little graphic. If you have
many pictures or what to modify your flowcharts from one slide to the other
you better use OOImpress and Co.

Greetz.