To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "George Leach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 9:02 PM
Subject: Re: Issues with Table of Contents

I'm currently heading for a last minute deadline and have found a couple of
small hitches with my document in LyX. I was hoping I might get some help
(one can but try). If people would like to see the document before
commenting please just ask and I'll be willing to send it asap.

Hope the deadline hasn't passed and so this is still useful!

Firstly and foremost. I'm having difficulties with ToC. I have my document
in "book" environment and have set out 4 or 5 chapters using solely
description, enumerate, itemize, section, subsection, subsection*, chapter,
and chapter*. I included the TOC button just below my title and when I hit
view DVI....blank..CONTENTS and then an empty page...Any ideas (I have
checked the document settings>numbering>ToC = 5)?

I dont know if you have the choice of book (koma script) In that case instead of using
chapter* you should use addchap. This will permit the entry to be seen in the TOC. There
are other ways of showing entriesin the TOC but this is one of the simpler ones.

That sounds strange. Have you definitely got your chapters and things
selected as the versions sans asterisk? I think only the numbered
entries will show up in your TOC. Also, have you definitely got a
title page in? I had a problem before where my TOC field had ended up
in the author field, causing all sorts of problems. Might be worthing
deleting it and adding it in again a little later in the document,
just to see if something along those lines is the problem

Secondly. I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it. (I expect the
'proof' environment doesn't work within 'Book' ) I would like to add some
nice proof symbols at the end of my proofs...I have found a likely contender
for the box but cannot get the \hspace command working.

Sorry, no ideas here

I'm a complete LaTeX newbie so could any responses be as comprehensive in
LaTeX (and LyX) input as possible.
Thanks in advance

Me too, but hopefully that helped anyway!

If you would like to send your document I would be willing to look through the problems
you are having.

samar