Paul Johnson wrote:

I'm wondering if I really have to install MikTeX when I already have a working latex. I have a full cygwin install and latex works in there.

I tried out once to use latex under cygwin, but the compilation of the documents takes a lot of time. Using MikTeX was much faster. MikTeX is also easier to administrate - installing packages is very easy, you don't need console commands. And updating the distribution is only four clicks. So you should give give it a try.

When I run lyx reconfigure, the output in the terminal it says it can't use latex. I don't understand it because I have put c:\cygwin\bin on the path and, in the terminal (either cygwin terminal or dos command shell) I can type "which latex" and it points to the right spot.

Has anybody mastered this one?

Yes, but it was three years ago, so I can't help you.

regards Uwe