The captioned reference, from the User Guide, appears clear enough and
works well in the "Section" environment but the option is, as far as I
can see, not available in the "Section*" environment.

Not sure of the rationale for this decision. My problem is typesetting
an old-fashioned book where, for the their pains, the authors-
translators have chosen to head each separate article along the lines of
"Article XXIV - The old system of wars of position and the modern system
of marches" and the Roman numerals run sequentially (regardless of
chapter) through the book.

Can I force the "opt" box into the "Section*" environment or should I
try to work out how to number (Roman) the "Section*" environments
independently of the Chapters? I have been unable to locate any obvious
reference to either approach (or to think of another).

I would be grateful for any hints for this little glitch ---I am
reluctant to lose the slightly antique flavour of the book by tampering
too much with the style adopted.
--
Bruce  Weller