To: "Juergen Spitzmueller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: latex question

my bibtex file is generated from the medline format - a large
bibliographic collection of life science publications - and there they
truncate the names to initials and surname.

now, the medline2bibtex convertions is done by pybliographer which gives
bibtex files with: author = {Smith, J.F.}

it is possible that publiographer is wrong here - but i have not been
able to locate a precise description of the bibtex file format.

so what are the correct format:

1) author = {Smith, J.F.}
2) author = {Smith, J. F.}
3) author = {Smith, J.\F.}
4) author = {Smith, J.~F.}

(what does \ and ~ mean, btw?)

call for votes ...

:o)

martin

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 04:36:18PM +0200, Juergen Spitzmueller wrote:
Martin A. Hansen wrote:
> author = {Smith, J.F.}, and ends up as Smith, J.
>
> now, it has not been possible for me to verify that the author format > in
> the bibtex file is ok. (the problem is solved if i introduce a blank
> between the initials -> J. F., but i think that is wrong and a freak
> fluke makes the latex output correct).

I think it should be Smith, J.~F. or rather Smith, J.\,F.
Probably, bibtex interprets J.F. as one word as long as there is no space.

Of course you can also write J. F. or John Frederic and let bibtex output J.F.
(or J.\,F. or whatever). I think this is the ideal solution, since all
formatting should be done by the bst file, not by you.

Jürgen